How to get assistive touch on an older generation iPod touch?

Postby pomeroy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 am

I really don't want a new iPod touch (I have my reasons) and the home button hasn't worked at all for a while. For a couple of months actually. And I don't have it in General blahblahblah, all that settings stuff because again, it's an older generation. I think it's about two or three years old. 32GBs if that helps at all (doubt it, but still putting it in there.) I checked the app store hoping that maybe there would be a way to get if off there to no avail. So, if anybody has any idea of what I could (I can't get the home button fixed right now by the way) that would be great! I also checked online for the home button things. The like... stick on stuff or whatever? I looked for them in stores and again to no avail. I couldn't find them, so if you know any stores that carry them that would be helpful too! Thanks!
pomeroy

Postby rigg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:32 am

I really don't want a new iPod touch (I have my reasons) and the home button hasn't worked at all for a while. For a couple of months actually. And I don't have it in General blahblahblah, all that settings stuff because again, it's an older generation. I think it's about two or three years old. 32GBs if that helps at all (doubt it, but still putting it in there.) I checked the app store hoping that maybe there would be a way to get if off there to no avail. So, if anybody has any idea of what I could (I can't get the home button fixed right now by the way) that would be great! I also checked online for the home button things. The like... stick on stuff or whatever? I looked for them in stores and again to no avail. I couldn't find them, so if you know any stores that carry them that would be helpful too! Thanks!
assistive touch is available for ipod touch 3rd generation and up. if you have a 1st generation ipod touch, the back will look like this: http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1353/HT1353_9.jpg notice how the upper left corner where the black plastic piece is runs into the corner of the ipod unlike the 2nd and 3rd generations of ipod touches.

maybe you dont have an ipod touch 1st generation. lets look at the other options. the ipod touch 2nd generation and 3rd generation both have a similar chrome back. time to look for the model number. model number for the 2nd generation is A1288. model number of the 3rd generation is A1318.

remember, only the 3rd generation ipod touch and newer generations have assistive touch. you can find it in settings>general>accessibility>assistive touch

maybe you werent looking in the right place? otherwise, id recommend that you replace the home button, which costs around $40 last i heard. hope i helped! :) x
rigg

Postby scirloc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:37 am

Hiya! Since you didn't actually say how old of a generation you have, I can only tell you what works for me. Go to Settings>General>Accessibility and set AssistiveTouch to 'on'. A little circle in a square will appear on your screen (and will remain there until you turn AT off) and tapping on that, there's an option of 'Home'. Essentially replacing the home button. Completely free, hardly any bother at all, and there's other option on there that I find extraordinarily useful also. According the the apple site somewhere, the home button is always the first thing to wear out, which makes sense if you think about it, so personally, I don't consider getting it fixed as an option. It'll just wear out again! So... those are my thoughts. Hope you can use them. :D

P.S. this works on a 4th gen. I don't know how many gens back it goes.
scirloc

Return to iPod